A development application has been lodged for Centre Activities (Office, Shop, Food and Drink Outlet) and Hotel, located at 36-52 Alfred Street, 100-108 Alfred Street and 234 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley. See link for the associated Residential and Pedestrian Link Review.
Designed by Architectus, the proposal comprises a 24 storey mixed use development, comprising the following:
– 1,560sqm of retail, food and drink and hotel uses on the ground level
– Commuter Access through the ground floor to access the Fortitude Valley Rail Station and Valley Metro
– 35,067sqm of commercial office gross floor area within Split Commercial tower.
Retail Arcade / Street Activation
The proposal provides an activated ground floor pedestrian arcade, providing commuter access from the corner of Alfred and Constance Street linking into the Fortitude Valley Rail Station and Valley Metro retail centre. The pedestrian verge has been increase for on-site pedestrian space that ranges between 5.2m to 6.8m along Alfred Street and between 5.4m to 8m along Constance Street.
The proposed podium accommodates two (2) storeys in an inverted podium design, as it scales in away from the street, not on the street boundary. The cantilevered affect is sought to achieve a human scale environment by providing an enclosed podium space and an increased public realm.
The tower is split, providing 22 storeys in the north and 20 storeys in the south and has been designed to address the street intersection and Clem 7 tunnel. A green spin provides a transition between the northern and southern building, with the building built to property boundary on Alfred Street and Constance Street. The rooftop provides 882sqm of communal open space incorporating, covered event/break out space, decking, raised planter, seating areas and lookout nodes.
54 car parking spaces and 7 motorcycle parking spaces are provided in two (2) basement levels, which access is provided via a new crossover to Constance Street. 230 bicycle parking spaces for employees and visitors are proposed with parking provided on Level 1 and includes extensive end of trip facilities including showers and lockers. Access to the bicycle parking and end of trip facilities is provided via an entrance on Alfred Street.
Changes proposed to allow for the integration with the Valley Metro Rail Station, as listed:
– Service vehicle access and servicing arrangements, including turnaround provision
– Internal retail arrangements providing new pedestrian arcade from Alfred Street
– Vehicular access to the existing public car park
– Alfred Street accesses to be a single lane ramp for entry only
– Alden Street existing ramp to Alden Street for exit only
– Rearrangement of internal layout to enable entry and exit lanes
– Removal of 150 existing car parks
The landscaping design prepared by Lat27 will provide key elements to soften the building, street and arcade, as listed:
– Street trees to the Alfred Street frontage;
– Vertical green wall system fixed to external building columns;
– Wayfindng signage and internal paving continued from the Valley Metro Rail Station to the street Station entry signage and paving
– Wintergarden located in the vertical break between the tower elements
– Landscaping on Level 2 interface to the adjacent car parking station
Valley Metro Rail
Indicative imagery was provided, as a glimpse of the future retail design and enhancements of the existing Valley Metro Rail Station, however do not form part of this development application.
According to the planners at Cardno, “It is important to acknowledge the positive contribution the proposal will make to the Fortitude Valley area. The proposal involves a 25 storey commercial development in an under-utilised area which currently does not support the pedestrian activity and built form outcomes that are desired for the emerging locality. The proposal involves a high quality architectural design that improves on-site conditions and provides for the incremental improvement of an important linkage between the emerging RNA Precinct and the high intensity services and facilities of Fortitude Valley to the south. A key feature of the proposal is the ground level active uses, which will facilitate the activation of Alfred Street as a prominent pedestrian space within the Fortitude Valley area and reinforce the Valley as a key commercial centre”.[espro-slider id=7305]
The application was lodged 2 November 2016 @36-52 Alfred Street, 100-108 Alfred Street and 234 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley. Source: Report prepared by Cardno, Drawings and Architectural report, prepared by Architectus and Landscape Concept prepared by Lat27. All information is available for review from BCC pdonline, see council reference: A004512181 for more information. See link for the associated Residential and Pedestrian Link Review.