A development application has been lodged for the University of Sunshine Coast (USC) for an Educational Establishment and Shop, located at 965 Gympie Road, Petrie (former Petrie Mill).Designed by Hassell, the proposal seeks the first ‘foundation building’ of the new Petrie University Campus, which will be occupied by the University of Sunshine Coast that will provide academic, research, administrative and operational functions.
The building is proposed to be a maximum building height of 3 stories (19.8m in height) and located in the south west position on the campus grounds and be provided with pedestrian access to Petrie Railway Station on the Moreton Bay Rail Line.
The proposal is for the university’s initial 3 years of growth, providing placements for approximately 1,658 students by 2020.
Foundation Building Details
– Deep overhanging roofs for sun shading, glare and solar protection
– Double glazed Facades for acoustic and thermal performance
– Glazing to provide Atrium Space light
– Lifts access and passenger movement
– Lecture theatre, tutorial rooms, visualisation studios
– Amenities (including end of trip facilities),
– Informal learning spaces, library, student centre
– Food and beverage spaces, retail general store
– Workshop and laboratory
– Road Setback and acoustic barrier
– Landscaped main entrance and forecourt
Floor GFA Details
– Ground Floor (4,018sqm)
– First Floor (3,594sqm)
– Second Floor (3,780sqm)
The proposal contains 224 car parking spaces as well as bicycle spaces and loading bay within the multi storey car park and 41 car parks are provided on the ground floor. Vehicle access is proposed to Gympie Road via a northern road reserve. Pedestrian access proposed to Gympie Road, Paper Avenue and Petrie Railway Station
The planners at Hassell state, “The proposed Foundation Building is of a height and scale that delivers a fully functioning university building that can accommodate a range of academic, research, administrative and operational functions, consistent with the intent for development on key site A within the Mill Central Precinct”. “The proposed Foundation Building (in particular the south eastern corner of the building) has been designed as an architectural statement and creates a sense of arrival to the university campus from Gympie Road. The proposed building materials, internal layout, varied built form and building height provide visual interest and character whilst also enabling high visibility to Gympie Road”.
The proposal has 11,392sqm, with 25% of site cover over the 3.87ha subject site.
The Application Information and References
– Date Lodged 9 February 2018
– Council: Moreton Bay Regional Council
– Council Reference: 2018 / 35670 / V2E
– Address: 965 Gympie Road, Petrie (former Petrie Mill)
– Development Scheme: The Mill at Moreton Bay (PDA)
– Precinct: Mill Central
– Neighbourhood Plan: N/A
– Town Planning Report: Hassell
– Architecture Drawings: Hassell
– Interactive Image: Google Streetview
Source: Information, Drawings and Images
All article information is sourced and available for review from MBRC pdonline or other referenced locations.
Have you Liked Your Neighbourhood ?