A development application has been lodged for further Refurbishment to the ‘Brookside Shopping Centre’ located at 107 Osborne Road, Mitchelton.
Designed by The Buchan Group, this proposal seeks further changes to the recent development approval on 21 February 2017 (A004531691) for extensions to the Brookside Shopping Centre, that made way for Target to return.
The proposed changes are to the ground floor level:
– New dining precinct for existing centre court
– Reconfigured tenancies (No. 29-33)
– Existing food court area removed
– New Mini Major Tenancy (945sqm)
– New specialty store (150sqm)
– Mall area refurbished to retail tenancy space
– Travellator void area infilled as mall area
– New kiosk adjacent to the travellator.
– More efficient use of the internal space overall
The proposed shopping centre internal works are in and around the existing food court and travellator. The new mini major tenancy will increase the overall shopping centre gross floor area by 747sqm. Overall the changes will propose 51,457sqm of GFA as a result of both stages, with 61,460sqm (43.6%) of site cover for the 139,854sqm site area.
Stage 1 (Approved) – Target Returns
Conversion of the existing Myer tenancy to a new major retail tenancy with internal alterations and refurbishment works. Further modifications to the loading dock and pickup areas and modifications to under croft parking area
Stage 2 (Proposed) – New Food Court and Mini Major Tenancy
Relocation of food court to new dining precinct, infilling of existing food court and mall area for new retail tenancies, infilling of void around travelator and new kiosk tenancy.
New Lift Access
The new lifts and lobby area connecting the undercroft car park and the ground floor has commenced construction. The lifts are planned to open late 2017 and provide a new access point to the centre.
According to the planners at Town Planning Alliance, “The proposed minor extensions and refurbishment works to the existing Brookside Shopping Centre will generally maintain the existing established landscaping, access and servicing arrangements over the site as a whole. The car parking arrangements will also be generally maintained, with the exception of the removal of 67 car parking spaces”.
The Application Information and References
– Date Lodged 10 May 2017
– Proposed Change Council Reference: A004644768
– Approved Application Council Reference: A004531691
– Address: Brookside Shopping Centre, 107 Osborne Road, Mitchelton
– Zone: Major Centre Zone – Neighbourhood Plan: Mitchelton Centre
– Application Report: Town Planning Alliance
– Design Drawings: The Buchan Group
– Map: Brookside Directory
– Lobby Artist Impressions
Source: Information, Drawings and Images
All article information is sourced and available for review from BCC pdonline or other referenced locations.
Previous Brookside Shopping Centre Update