A development application has been lodged for a Special Development Area to accommodate a Master Area Development Plan, which includes a new stadium and supporting facilities and activities for the Brisbane Lions Club and AFLW team, located 60 Springfield Greenbank Arterial, 7003 Eden Station Drive and 7001 Centenary Highway, Springfield Central.
Designed by Populous, the proposal is labeled ‘the Reserve Community Arena’ that will accommodate a Premier Sports Stadium Facility with a capacity of 10,000 spectators. The proposal includes supporting facilities for training, administration, business and community infrastructure of the sports arena and Brisbane Lions Training and Administration Facility. The proposal is broken into stages 1(a – d) and 2 (categorically over 5 stages).
Master Area Development Plan includes the following 5 key Precincts:
– Entry Plaza and Western Concourse
– Lions Training and Administration Facility
– Members Standing and Grandstand Spectator Area
– Grassed Berm Spectator Area
– Complementary Activities
Entry Plaza and Western Concourse
– Open space public area interface with key in proximity locations
– Hardstand and grassed areas
– Landscape spaces
– Welcoming entry for spectators
– Suitable also for small temporary events or activities
– Connectivity to pedestrian and cycle networks
– Connected directly to the main oval and viewing areas
– Connected directly the Lions Training and Administration Facility
– Café, outdoor seating and merchandising areas
– The concourse connects the grandstand and spectator areas
– Architectural designed concourse reflecting ‘movement of water’
– The entry plaza adjoins the small short term/commuter parking
Lions Training and Administration Facility
– 2 storey high indoor field
– Brisbane Lions club and AFLW team
– Open and transparent ground level for public viewing
– High performance training facilities
– Administration functions for the Brisbane Lions club
– Additional administration and ancillary functions
– Club catering, members club dining and players’ lounge
– Community use auditorium and meeting space
Members Standing and Grandstand Spectator Area
– Open standing area for spectators
– 700 public grandstand seating over the upper level
– Temporary events and festivals within the site
– Game day functions including coaches and official’s areas
– Radio and television broadcasting facilities
– Sporting facilities to support AFL
Grassed Berm Spectator Area
– Large grassed berm area for public viewing
– The main digital scoreboard
– Replay screen
– Child care, gymnasium, ancillary business and health facilities
– Medical imaging and sports medicine and a lap pool.
– Pedestrian corridor linking with the main eastern concourse.
The proposal includes two (2) car parking areas for visitor and the club. 108 visitor car parking spaces are provided in the northern car park and accessed from Eden Station Drive. 60 restricted car parking spaces are provided in the eastern parking area and accessed from Springfield Greenbank Arterial for staff, club requirements, emergency and operational vehicles on game days.
The planners at Land Partners state, “The development of The Reserve Community Arena as a Special Development Area is considered appropriate as the land maintains a high level of accessibility, is in a location and is being provided with a size and shape that relates to its intended utility as a premier sports arena, and maintains a high level of exposure. The proposed development has also been considered in the higher level framework of master planning and assessment under the Springfield Structure Plan and this application, proposed within a nominated Special Development Area, achieves a development outcome that will enhance the overall quality, diversity and attractiveness of the subject land in accordance with these expected master planning outcomes”.
The proposal seeks a Development Permit for Material Change of Use to permit the development of Park and complementary facilities and activities comprising Community Building, Public Building, Child Care Centre, Commercial Premises, Medical Centre, Club, Restaurant, Produce/Craft Market, Indoor Recreation, Outdoor Recreation, Outdoor Entertainment, Radio Station, Television Station, Reception and Function Rooms, Sports Complex, Educational Establishment, and Tourist Facility.
We encourage you to like the Your Neighbourhood Facebook page, to be updated on other projects or developments in Brisbane or surrounds.
The Application Information and References
– Date Lodged 18 July 2019
– Council: Ipswich City Council
– Council Reference: ADP – 5911 / 2019
– Address: 60 Springfield Greenbank Arterial, 7003 Eden Station Drive and 7001 Centenary Highway, Springfield Central
– Zone: Town Centre Designation
– Application Report: Land Partners
– Architectual Plan: Populous
– Renders: Brisbane Lions
– Interactive Image: Google Aerial and Streetview
Source: Information, Drawings and Images
All article information is sourced and available for review from ICC pdonline or other referenced locations.
Liked Your Neighbourhood?