A development application has been lodged for a New Stormwater Infrastructure and Backflow Prevention Device within Bulimba Riverside Park, located Waterline Crescent, Bulimba.
Designed by City Projects Office, the proposal seeks Operational Works for Prescribed Tidal Work to upgrade the existing stormwater infrastructure to prevent repeat of the Brisbane River flooding experienced in 2011. The upgrade works to the stormwater network are identified as Stage 2, with another separate outlet previously upgraded as Stage 1.
The construction works will include:
– Dredging approximately 4000T of material, approximately 25m into the river from the toe of the bank
– Dredging works will be temporary to allow maintenance dredging and construction barge access.
– Removal of dredging material
– Demolition of the existing stormwater outlet structure within the Brisbane River
– Installation of erosion and sediment control measures around the works area
– Bored pile installation above highest astronomical tide (HAT) using piling rig;
– Removal of 5m of existing precast 6000mm x 2700mm arch drain
– Installation of the new headwall and wing walls of the outlet;
– Construction of a new transition chamber and outlet structure.
– Three (3) x 2400mm diameter non return valves fitted to the transition chamber
– Temporary coffer dam around create a dry work area
– Reinstatement of the upstream and downstream embankment batter.
– Reinstatement of site conditions to a pre-work standard.
Other areas of the park affected
– Temporary realignment of the bikeway and footpath prior to construction;
– Temporary realignment of the overland flow path;
– Temporary access road constructed to the works site, via Addison Avenue or private access
– Marine plant removed (11 grey mangroves, one (1) river mangrove and pneumatophores)
Works shall be restricted to default noise standards hours
– Monday to Saturday 6:30 am to 6:30 pm
– No work on Sundays or public holidays
– Monday to Saturday 7:00 am – 7:00 pm when using regulated devices.
– Piling is to be restricted to 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday to Saturday.
– Regulated devices may only be used between 7am and 7pm Monday to Saturday
According to the planners at City Projects Office, “The objective of the proposed works is to limit water flowing from the Brisbane River, back up through the stormwater system into low-lying areas of Bulimba during periods of elevated flow. The construction works have been planned to allow for best practice installation of the new outlet, together with best practice environmental outcomes during construction. The works will involve the removal of the existing outlet, construction of a new outlet with integrated backflow prevention, and associated works which involve dredging within the Brisbane River and land-based works within Bulimba Riverside Park.”
The application was lodged 20 March 2017 @ Bulimba Riverside Park, located Waterline Crescent, Bulimba. Source: Application Report and proposed Plans was prepared by City Projects Office, and available for review from BCC pdonline. See Council ref: A004610647 for more information.